Big list of feminist documentaries and film. This also includes documentaries about masculinity and gender parity.
Last March my girlfriend and I struggled to find good documentaries on feminist and gender issues but were unable to find any. After much search and even some illegal downloading I was able to find a nice list. I will continue to add to this list as I find more.
Last Modified 3/17/2012
- Miss Representation
- Killing Us Softly 4*
- Codes of Gender*
- The Purity Myth*
- Tough Guise – Violence Media and the Crisis in Masculinity*
- The F Word
- Dreamworlds 3: Desire, Sex and Power in Music Video*
- Price of Pleasure*
- Red Moon*
- Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes*
- Beauty Mark*
- Orgasm Inc.
- Playing Unfair*
- America the Beautiful
- Barbie Nation: An Unauthorized Tour
- Born Into Brothels: Calcutta’s Red Light Kids
- Pray the Devil Back to Hell
- Ladies of the Land
- Good Food
- Generation M*
- Reviving Ophelia*
- Period: The End of Menstruation?
- Miss Navajo
- Trained in the Ways of Men
- Michael Kimmel on Gender: Mars, Venus or Planet Earth? Men & Women in a New Millennium*
- The Burning Times
- Goddess Remembered
- This Film is Not Yet Rated
- Suffragette City (Very short BBC documentary about England’s amazing suffrage movement)
- Not For Ourselves Alone (American suffrage doc highlighting Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s role)
- Moon Inside You
- The Perfect Vagina
- Good Hair
- The Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter 
- My Penis and Everyone Else’s [male issues]
Films with female protagonist tackling feminist issues
- Thelma and Louise
- A League of Their Own
- The Color Purple
- Sita Sings the Blues
- Iron Jawed Angels (the only suffrage film I’ve ever been able to find. Highlighting Alice Paul’s contributions)
* marks the docs made by the Media Education Foundation. As you can see, the docs I’ve been able to find have mostly been limited to MEF which may be unpopular among pro-porn feminists. Funny though, in my experience, its usually pro-porn feminist boys that dislike MEF documentaries.
This will be a post I plan on maintaining for a long time. Please send me any suggestions of documentaries about feminist/gender issues as well as any notable films directed by women. Even more important (to me) than the latter are films which feature positive female protagonists who deal with these issues (ie Persepolis and A League of Their Own).